Position: Administrative Assistant Public Works
Department: Public Works
Supervisor: Director of Public Works
Status: Full Time Non-Exempt
Hours: Generally Monday- Friday 8:00AM – 5:00 PM
The City of Belgrade is an equal opportunity employer. The City shall, upon request, provide reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
Summary of Position
Conducts prompt and courteous reception, clerical, and customer service duties for the Public Works Department. Responsible for telephone and in person interactions with the public for specification inquiries and assistance. Inputs data into established programs according to standardized format. Assists the Public Works Director and performs a variety of clerical and advisory functions. Processes various permits. Coordinates public works communication. Provides general administrative support for the Public Works Director. The position performs both assigned and independent duties. The position requires coordination and implementation of a variety of Public Works projects.
Job Description/ Essential Duties
These job functions are the essential duties of the position and are not all-inclusive of all the duties the incumbent may be assigned.
- Receives applications, plans, and other construction documents, to determine sufficiency of submittals; advises applicants on requirements for complete submittals.
- Assists with various administrative tasks by scheduling work orders, scheduling meetings, filing permits and applications, performing data entry and assisting customers at the counter and over the telephone.
- Attends Park Board meetings, keeps track of meeting minutes, and records proceedings.
- Provides coordination support with personnel in the fields of construction, engineering, public works, surveying, etc. to maintain project continuity.
- Assists in resolving permit and inspection problems.
- Provides technical expertise related specifically to asset management.
- Provides the on-going spatial data maintenance and dissemination, end-user support, and the generation of maps and other GIS reports and information product.
- Files maps, drawings, copies of standards, plan profiles of streets, documents, permits, sewer and water lines, as builts, in both hard copy and in the computer mapping system.
- Assists public works with office support on a frequent basis; provides support to other city departments as necessary.
- Completes routine administrative functions and special assignments by preparing detailed reports and analysis, identifying and recommending process improvements, and recommending alternatives.
- Coordinates projects related to all aspects of Public Works that may include research, data analysis, report writing, and presentations.
- Complies with all policies, protocols, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Skill in operating modern office equipment including computer equipment.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle safely.
- Ability to recommend and implement goals, objectives, and practices for providing effective and efficient Public Works services.
- Perform responsible and difficult financial and administrative work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative under the direction of the Director of Public Works.
- Ability to interpret and apply the policies, procedures, laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to assigned programs and functions.
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- General understanding of local government operations
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (excel and Word) and the ability to learn GIS software and databases
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
No supervisory responsibility.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience and Training)
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent.
- A valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record at the time of hire or the ability to obtain a valid MT driver’s license within six months of hire.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software products.
- Equivalent to 2 years of a college diploma or a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college.
- Experience in developing and maintaining GIS data and other GIS output products including use of ESRI software and global positioning systems.
- Familiarity with the principles, practices, and techniques of Public Works operations including streets, parks, water, and wastewater.
- An equivalent combination of education, customer service, technical training and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge may be considered.
- Operational characteristics, principles, practices, services and activities of a comprehensive Public Works program.
- Civil engineering principles, practices, and methods as related to a comprehensive Public Works program.
- Modern component-based GIS tools and methodology for municipal and utility GIS use cases.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws.
- Modern office practices, methods, and the use of computer equipment knowledge and skills.
Skill or ability to:
- Safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete records.
- Communicate orally and in writing.
- Prepare clear and concise administrative, financial and other relevant reports including letters, agenda reports, and staff reports.
- Exercise good judgement, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office products and the ability to become proficient in new software applications such as GIS mapping software.
Tools and Equipment
Operates modern office machines and equipment including PC, printers, copiers, calucators, and scanner; routinely use a full range of word processing and spreadsheet computer software applications, flashlight, tape measure, architects scale, and engineers scale.
Special Requirements/Licenses or Certificates
- Must be able to successfully pass pre-employment background check at offer of employment.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Administrative duties are performed in an office type environment.
- Position requires ability to work outside occasionally in construction and building areas, and will be exposed to varying weather extremes.
- Duties require extended periods of walking, standing, talking or hearing, keyboarding, lifting/carrying items, reaching with hands and arms, and using hands to touch, handle or feel.
- Duties require occasional periods of sitting, climbing or balancing, pulling/pushing items, and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling.
- Must be able to add, subtract, divide and multiply.
- Reading materials and verbal instructions that require moderate interpretation.
- Hazards are minor and controllable, but rarely may include exposure to high precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electric shock, cramped quarters, human error and angry/hostile humans.
- The noise level ranges from quiet to moderate to potentially loud in construction and building areas.
- Ability to perform body movements on job site applicable to records management in an office environment.
- Possession of hand/eye coordination adequate to operate a computer and calculator.
- Have the ability to talk and hear in person and by telephone; ability to see and read instructions, spreadsheets, reference materials and computer reports.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contracted in the course of work.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Safety Related Duties
- Follow the City’s and departments work practices.
- Comply with established safe work rules.
- Report all accidents and injuries immediately and cooperate in all accident and injury investigations, supplying full and complete information.
- Follow supervisor instructions for obtaining first aid or medical attention.
- Participate in safety training.
- Suggest improvements in safety training requirements or programs to Supervisor.
- Identify unsafe work conditions and unsafe practices. Correct hazards or report them to Supervisor a appropriate.
The specific statements shown in each section of this position description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Not all duties will necessarily be performed by this position, and some duties may be added.
After reading this job description, as of this date would you require any accommodation to perform
these duties? YES or NO
Employee’s Signature: _________________________________ Date: _____________________